Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Tonsils Out!


Two weeks ago McKay had his tonsils out. Today we just received clearance from his doctor that he is healing well and can get back to normal activities. The decision to have his tonsils out was made after four episodes of fever and throat infection in the past two months. Each episode lasted for about 5 days. It seems like he was sick half of the summer.

He was so brave the morning of surgery, looking so cute and innocent in his little hospital gown. He was happy that Beary was able to join him the day of surgery. It's hard to see your child go through this knowing all that it entails. The night before we discussed with him what to expect the day of surgery and he received a priesthood blessing. He was quite calm until the doctor came in to finalize everything, then he started to cry and get a little nervous. The anesthesiologist let him pick his scent to smell when he fell asleep. He chose marshmallow. I went with him into the operating room until he fell asleep. He was very cooperative in breathing in the gas, or blowing up the balloon as they told him.

They came and got me as soon as he was waking up after surgery. He was a little disoriented at first, but then noticed the pain in his throat. As soon as the pain meds were in him he did very well; he did not even throw-up. In fact, in the four hours in recovery he ate four Popsicles and drank some apple juice. He continued to recovery quickly and had macaroni and cheese and part of a bagel that night. He hardly needed his pain meds during the day and by the end of the week he started getting his energy back and even played a little soccer. We are hoping the this is the end of all the illness and are proud of him for being such a trooper!

7 comments:

The Bright Family said...

poor McKay! :( But very glad everything went smoothly & he is recovering quickly!!! :)

Katrina said...

Wow, I'm glad everything went okay.

Kimball and Marianne Larsen said...

What a trooper. We're so glad it went okay. Here's to hoping the throat infections are done forever!

alan and bonnie said...

We are so glad everything went so well!!! Can't wait to see everyone next month.

Becky said...

Poor little guy! I'm glad he's doing well. I don't know if I could watch them put my child under! But I don't think I could let them take my child back there without me, either. Either way, I would be SO nervous, even though it's such a routine surgery and my husband is an anesthesiologist!

Alyson Bailey said...

wThat is such an ordeal for these little guys. Kira had her tonsils out when she was 3. She was snoring really bad and didn't have a big enough airway. It made such a big difference having them out. Hopefully this will help McKay out a ton too, cute guy!

Jennett said...

McKay looks so adorable in that little hospital bed...I hope that he is doing much better now that he has those tonsils out! Here's hoping to a healthier winter!