The tornado at Southlands only a couple of miles from our home
Or "tormado" as McKay kept calling it, and yes we really had one here in Aurora yesterday. We were actually in church at the time and Lamont was teaching the Elder's Quorum and I was teaching the Young Women. I was just teaching away to what sounded like a serious rainstorm when the Bishop came busting into the classroom and told us all to get out in the hall. I had no clue what was going on until I saw one of our friends with a picture of a funnel cloud on his cell phone that was taken from the church parking lot. Lamont of course went to check it out and saw the funnel in the distance.
After rounding up the boys we headed into the chapel to wait out the tornado and hail storm. Luckily the tornado did not hit the church, but on the way home we noticed a fencing area torn to shreds about a half mile away. It is amazing to me how isolated tornados can be; one spot is untouched while the next is destoryed. We returned to our home to find it just fine. We made it through the storm with only some minor hail damage to the car (the hail was about the size of a quarter). Unforunately we can't say the same for our favorite shopping area, Southlands. We drove down there yesterday evening to assess the damage. From the reports and damage we knew which way the tornado had gone, which was right over our neighborhood. It just didn't touch down thank goodness. Many of the stores in the shopping area had some significant damage with trees being ripped out and shingles ripped off of roofs. Many homes around the area also received damage. I thought we were through with this sort of thing after moving from Texas. I guess I need to remember that we are on the Kansas side of Colordao. It was such a crazy day and we feel blessed to make it out with only minor hail damage.
Damage in the Lowes parking lot
Monday, June 8, 2009
Tornado?!
Posted by
Lamont and Melissa Larsen
at
1:48 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
I have been waiting for a post about this! I am so glad you are all okay. That is so wierd. Great picture of the funnel, though.
That is crazy!!! I am glad y'all are alright.
I never would have thought in CO??!! Shows how vulnerable I am!!
Yikes! Can't wait to join you in Kansas!!:)
Crazy!! I am glad everything turned out ok
Ryan is SO jealous!! He wants to see a tornado SO bad!! Me on the other hand, NOT jealous in the least!! Those things freak me out. I would have wet my pants if I saw that!!
Post a Comment